US Piping Foundation Competitions
U.S. Piping Foundation Championships
Roselle Center for the Arts, University of Delaware
June 18, 2011
The 25th United States Piping Foundation Amateur and Professional Piping Championships were held today, 18 Jun 2011, in Newark, Delaware. In the Amateur events there were 13 pipers from throughout North America, and 12 in the Professional events. The Adjudicators for the Professional events were John Wilson, Paisley, Scotland and William Livingtsone, Whitley, Ontario, Canada. Adjudicators for the Amateur events were James Stack, Summit, NJ, and Mike Rogers, Silver Spring, MD.
Results were as follows:
The Donald MacPherson Silver Quaich Amateur Piobaireachd Competition:
Each competitor submitted four tunes of their own choice.
1. Ursa Beckford (Clifton, Maine), The Unjust Incarceration
2. Elliot Smith (Concord, New Hampshire), The Finger Lock
3. Palmer Shonk (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania), Lament for MacSwan of Roaig
4. Liz Cherry (Greensburg, Pennsylvania), Lament for Donald Duaghal MacKay
5. Ross Davidson (Ottawa, Ontario), The Battle of the Pass of Crieff
The Seumas MacNeill Silver Quaich Amateur March, Strathspey, and Reel Competition: Each competitor submitted four of each type of tune, and played a set selected by the judges.
1. Nick Hudson (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania), Abercairney Highlanders, Lady Louden, Dr. MacPhail’s Reel
2. Palmer Shonk, Knightswood Ceilidh, Monymusk, Thompson’s Dirk
3. Liz Cherry, Inverlochy Castle, Kirstie McCallman’s Favorite, Miss Proud
4. Elliot Smith, The Young MacGregor, The Ewe wi’ the Crooked Horn, Fiona MacLeod
5. Ursa Beckford, John MacDonald of Glencoe, Shepherd’s Crook, The Little Cascade
Overall Amateur results:
The competitor with the highest point accumulation from the Piobaireachd and MS&R competitions received round trip airfare to Scotland and two weeks tuition at an approved venue in Scotland. The overall winner also received the USPF Silver Buckle. Scholarships were awarded to approved Piping Schools for overall placements in the following amounts:- 2nd Place - $700; 3rd Place - $600; 4th Place - $500; 5th Place - $400:
1. Palmer Shonk
2. Ursa Beckford
3. Elliot Smith
4. Liz Cherry
5. Nick Hudson
Also competing in the Amateur events but not in the prize list: Tom Brown (Ottawa, Ontario), Geordie Hall (Duncannon Pennsylvania), Emily Kate MacLellan (Ottawa, Ontario), Sean Poyntz (Miami, Florida), Sean Regan (Edinboro, Pennsylvania), Mary Wallace (Richmond, Virginia), and Kevin Wiegand (Sarasota, Florida).
The St. Andrew’s Society of Philadelphia Silver Quaich Professional Piobaireachd Competition:
Each competitor submitted six tunes of their own choice. Prizes: 1st - $1000; 2nd - $800; 3rd - $600; 4th $400; & 5th - $200.
1. Alex Gandy (Dartmouth, Nova Scotia), The End of the Great Bridge
2. Andrew Carlisle (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania), The MacKay’s Banner
3. Bruce Gandy (Dartmouth, Nova Scotia), Lament for the Earl of Antrim
4. James Bell (Batesville, Arkansas), The Bells of Perth
5. Andrew Rogers (Frederickton, New Brunswick), The Battle of Auldearn #2
The St. Andrew’s Society of Baltimore Silver Charger Professional March, Strathspey, & Reel Competition:
Each competitor submitted six of each type of tune, and played a set twice through selected by the judges. Prizes: 1st - $1000; 2nd - $800; 3rd - $600; 4th $400; & 5th - $200.
1. Alex Gandy, John MacColl’s March to Kilbowie Cottage, Susan MacLeod, The Little Cascade
2. Bruce Gandy, The Crags of Stirling, Islay Ball, Charlie’s Welcome
3. Andrew Carlisle, The Braes of Castle Grant, Inverary Castle, John Morrison of Assynt House
4. James Bell, Major Manson of Clachantrushal, Struan Robertson, The Smith of Chilliechassie
5. Andrew Rogers, 91st at Modder River, Maggie Cameron, Bessie MacIntyre
The Overall Winner was Alex Gandy, who, in addition to the prize monies noted above, will also receive trans-Atlantic airfare from the East Coast to Glasgow or Edinburgh Scotland if he is eligible to compete in the Northern Meeting Clasp, Gold Medal, or Silver Medal; or the Argyllshire Gathering Senior Piobaireachd, Gold Medal, or Silver Medal.
Also competing in the Professional events but not in the prize list: Duncan Bell (Bethlehem, Pennsylvania), John Bottomley (Bethlehem, Pennsylvania), Andrew Bova (Perrysburg, Ohio), Paula Glendinning (Ashton, Maryland), Ted Krogh (Anchorage, Alaska), Donald Lindsay (Petersburgh, New York), and Dan Lyden (Timonium, Maryland).